Re: major linux problems summary 2012

On Sun, Nov 04, 2012 at 12:03:37PM +0100, Karol Szkudlarek wrote:
> and about graphics freeze:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/1033263
>
> and about touchpad:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/606238
>
> and about cpu fan:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/i8kutils/+bug/410596
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acpi/+bug/632228
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/i8kutils/+bug/1060096

> All I need is a stable set of tools and mobile laptop which I can
> resume/suspend without
> crashes and do my work. Secondly I'm only a user of OS not a developer. :-)

I think the real problem is that you bought a machine designed to run
Windows, and the Linux community promised that machine designed
to run Windows will run Linux just fine.

Anecdotal evidence shows that it is rarely the case.

Linux works relatively well on server hardware, but that is because
server makers know that most customers are going to install Linux on them,
and make sure to provide them a good experience.

OTOH manufacturers don't really put any effort in Linux support in
laptops - and it shows. Over years Linux on laptops has been a
never ending hit/miss where some laptops work well, while others don't.
Especially in the power management area, where we depend on vendors good
implementation of suspend/resume in bios code.

Perhaps we should stop pretending Linux runs on any random hardware, and
tell people to buy machines with Linux pre-installed? System76 [1],
Google [2], Dell, HP, Acer, and others do already so.

It might more expensive / difficult to acquire / less shiny, than a windows
laptop, but at least you will get working touchpad and suspend/resume.

Android didn't grab 75% of the market by providing android installation
instructions for iphones - it took the market with android preinstalled
on phones[3].

Riku

[1] https://www.system76.com/
[2] http://www.google.fi/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromebooks.html#ss-cb
[3] and lots of other reasons too but let us not spoil a great analogue.