Re: [SUMMARY/PROPOSAL] Orphaning another maintainer's packages - delay for maintainer to react

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 00:21:41 Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 10/27/2012 04:47 AM, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> > For example if package is not maintained for years we can certainly wait
> > for a month or two before orphaning even though there may be no need to
> > wait that long.
>
> This unfortunately cannot be set as a rule.

That's fine, recommendation would be good enough.

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 00:21:41 Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Sometimes, a package that was
> left unmaintained for a long time becomes a piece of something else,
> maybe because it's a dependency of a new package, and needs to be
> taken care of, and that's exactly when you will want to have a quick
> adoption of the package, in order to not waste some maintainer / DD
> time and/or delaying the achievement/upload of a project/package.

Of course, but it looks like we've lost a bit of context.
I was talking about orphaning-only while what you're saying is about
adoption/salvaging/co-maintainership.

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 00:21:41 Thomas Goirand wrote:
> I also think it would be a good thing if there was some kind of work
> showing the intent of the adopter, on top of the ACK. This could be
> in the form of a patch sent to the BTS, or some NMU. But I don't
> think this should be a hard requirement. I agree with others saying
> that we should trust that DDs will do the right thing.

Indeed it don't have to be just NMU -- any form of contribution will do.

Regards,
Dmitry.