Re: (seemingly) declinging bug report numbers

Le dimanche, 21 octobre 2012 19.33:28, Enrico Zini a écrit :
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 01:26:56PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > generalisation of application stores.  How can we attract the creative
> > people who entered the field of software development and distribution on
> > Android or iOS ?
> > Worse, because of the fragmentation of the « Linux » landscape, if they
> > want to distribute their work on « Linux », these developers need to
> > learn how to do so on Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, etc., or need to
> > convince develpers to package their work.  And this still does not save
> > them from learning complex details, as for instance it is not obvious to
> > determine how long it will take for a package to migrate from Debian to
> > Ubuntu.
>
> I've said this at the AppInstaller meeting almost 2 years ago and I'm
> still convinced of it: the distribution fragmentation is the least of
> our concerns. The big concern is that we don't have a stable "Linux"
> API.

Isn't that what "LSB" is meant to provide?

Besides that is suffers from another type of fragmentation: upstream's
engagements on long-term supporting their supposedly extra-stable APIs. The
case I'm thinking about is stuff like Qt3, that is a "must" of the LSB version
we will claim to support in Wheezy but that noone can reasonably claim to
support security-wise, because Qt upstream's moved to Qt4 (or 5, or 6
already?).

Salut,

OdyX