Re: (seemingly) declinging bug report numbers

Le Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 09:40:12AM +0200, Christian PERRIER a écrit :

> But, still, yes, I feel we are in danger in some way. That may sound alarming
> (death of Debian predicted, film at 11), but, really, getting new
> blood is important for us....if we don't want to shrink into a club of
> old chaps who are doing Debian "just for their needs" but can't manage
> to do it anymore because there is too much to do..:-).

Along these lines, I am worried that we are missing a turning point, the
generalisation of application stores.  How can we attract the creative people
who entered the field of software development and distribution on Android or
iOS ?

Worse, because of the fragmentation of the « Linux » landscape, if they want to
distribute their work on « Linux », these developers need to learn how to do so
on Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, etc., or need to convince develpers to
package their work.  And this still does not save them from learning complex
details, as for instance it is not obvious to determine how long it will take
for a package to migrate from Debian to Ubuntu.

It looks like from big projects like Mozilla, GNOME, etc., their answer is to
provide their own extension store, which co-exist with our package sytstem,
adding one more level of fragmentation.

I think that our long-term survival will depend on our capacity to join efforts
with the other « Linux » distributions and the major Free application/extension
stores, and provide a simplified and standardised entry point to our packaging
systems, so that the works that do not need the most sophisticated parts
of our packaging systems can be maintained in a trans-distribution way.

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan