Re: greater popularity of Debian on AMD64?

Am 05.09.2012 20:57, schrieb martin f krafft:
> also sprach Patrick Matthäi <pmatthaei@debian.org> [2012.09.05.1902 +0200]:
>> amd64 is the name of the x64 CPU architecture and also with my fglrx hat
>> on I think you do not know about what you are speaking (just have got a
>> look at radeon)..
>
> Radeon being owned by AMD and fglrx not having the best reputation,
> I don't quite understand your point.

Forget the past where GPUs were owned by ATI, they s....
When AMD took over ATI they first began to work with the OSS community,
seriously checked if they could open fglrx-driver, hire full time people
to work on the radeon driver, released 2D/3D/board/Video specifications
of their cards and so on..
AMD also supports Debian (just now with an special point release for
Wheezy). I do not think that AMD (not the past ATI) is evil and such foo
should stop here.

And why hasn't got radeon a good reputation? It is the fastest and most
supported OSS Xorg driver and also quite stable.. Yeah intel has got a
good OSS driver, but they are to lame for complex 2D/3D scenarious..

--
/*
Mit freundlichem Gruß / With kind regards,

  Blog: http://www.linux-dev.org/
E-Mail: pmatthaei@debian.org
        patrick@linux-dev.org
*/