Re: Stuff from /bin, /sbin, /lib depending on /usr/lib libraries

On Wed, 2012-08-29 at 22:25 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2012, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > On Aug 30, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
> > > The obvious way is to not use a separate /usr anymore or simply mount
> > > /usr via the initramfs.
> > >
> > > Wasn't there a patch for initramfs-tools floating around doing that?
> > Yes, there is one but the maintainer has not applied or rejected it
> > so far.
> >
> > Fellow developers, please do not waste your time moving stuff to /lib:
> > it's a task both endless and futile because nowadays it is clear that
> > the upstream maintainers of various stuff do not support a standalone
> > /usr mounted by the init scripts: if /usr is a standalone file system
> > then it must be mounted in the initramfs.
>
> Yes, because after all, an outdated initramfs already craps all over your md
> arrays and hoses the kernel and let's not even touch the root-on-lvm and
> encrypted-root break-me-plenty scenarios.  Why not make sure it will also
> break the world if you change /etc/fstab [and forget to update the
> initramfs] ?
[...]

I don't believe anyone proposed to copy /etc/fstab into the initramfs.
We can just as well read it directly once we've mounted the 'real root'.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Quantity is no substitute for quality, but it's the only one we've got.