Re: About the media types text/x-php and text/x-php-source

On 2012-08-28 12:36:22 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre writes ("Re: About the media types text/x-php and text/x-php-source"):
> > Now, the sender could also provide a charset with
> > application/*, in which case the recipient client should know
> > that this is necessarily text.
>
> Is that actually written down in the MIME specs anywhere ?  I wouldn't
> have thought that would be a safe assumption at all.

Providing a charset parameter is explicitly allowed. In RFC 2046:

   Other media types than subtypes of "text" might choose to employ the
   charset parameter as defined here, but with the CRLF/line break
   restriction removed.  Therefore, all character sets that conform to
   the general definition of "character set" in RFC 2045 can be
   registered for MIME use.

Then if there is a charset parameter, with a value that refers to
some known text character set, I think that one can assume that
the contents are encoded with this charset, thus can be displayed
as text.