Re: Minified javascript files

Hi Thomas,

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 23:43:32 +0800, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
> On 08/26/2012 03:37 PM, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > the Built-Using will documented in the next release of the Policy, thanks
> > to the input of the FTP team.
> >
> > http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=dbnpolicy/policy.git;a=commitdiff;h=4953fb7792b9fbe04c27dc817a2eb3cd9ab450b8
> >
> > http://bugs.debian.org/641153
> >
> > Have a nice Sunday,
> >
> Interesting!
>
> If a package has Built-Using, where/how will the build
> dependency be downloaded? In /usr/src/package-name-<version>?

Built-Using doesn't determine behaviour before or during the build, it just
records the fact that a binary package was built using some other (binary)
package - the aim is to ensure that all the source code required to build a
package is available in the archives. (So the Built-Using declaration
actually uses the source package and version, not the binary package and
version.)

Take for example my gcc-mingw-w64 package: it build-depends on gcc-4.6-source
which provides the gcc source and Debian patches; the build then uses those
files to build gcc, and records the specific source version used in the
Built-Using field in its binary packages. The declaration doesn't help me
build the packages, it's just a record so that the archive tools can ensure
we honour our license obligations and provide the exact source used to build
the binaries we ship.

I do something similar in my mednafen package: the mednafen source includes
mini-lzo's source, which is also available in liblzo2-dev; to make security
maintenance easier, the build copies mini-lzo from liblzo2-dev, so the
resulting packages declare a Built-Using relationship on lzo2 (the source
package).

It doesn't help packages build using arbitrary source packages; it's only
really useful for builds using -source packages (binutils-source,
gcc-...-source, and so on), or builds using statically-linked libraries.
Being able to build-depend on source packages would be nice but that's
another discussion ;-). (Here's another Built-Using idea: automatic binNMUs
when external source is updated...)

Regards,

Stephen