Re: How to handle dirty tarballs (Was: Enabling uscan to simply remove files from upstream source)

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 12:42:43PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

||  On 12-08-24 at 11:31am, Andreas Tille wrote:
||  > when working on patches for uscan to implement the removal of files I
||  > stumbled upon one problem: What to do with dirty tarballs (which are
||  > unpacking all their files straight to the unpack directory and do not
||  > create a subdirectory).  When I write get-orig-source tarballs I
||  > always create a <pkg>-<version> directory and unpack the content to
||  > this.  Should this be implemented as well or do you think it is better
||  > to change as less as possible?
||  he he, now you are hitting the dirty details ;-)
||  I seem to recall there also being tarballs having all in one subdir, but
||  then including additional subdirs not really used for anything (by us at
||  least). Or maybe only additional files in root dir, not more subdirs.
||  To answer your question: Yes, I find it reasonable to "normalize" when
||  repackaging.

... keeping in mind that it would be a nice property if the package
also builds when the normalized .orig.tar.gz is replaced with the true
upstream .tar.gz.
--
Vincent Zweije <vincent@zweije.nl>   | "If you're flamed in a group you
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/>      | don't read, does anybody get burnt?"