Re: Enabling uscan to simply remove files from upstream source

On 12-08-24 at 11:16am, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 09:39:00AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 6:21 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> >
> > > Any further hints / remarks?
> >
> > In comparison to the current method for repacking (debian/rules
> > get-orig-source), this doesn't allow per-file-set comments about why
> > the file-set is being removed. I often use this to document in more
> > detail why I am removing files. So I view this spec as a downgrade
> > from what we have now.
>
> Besides the suggestion of Jonas which I like in principle and would be
> the easiest way to implemet it came to my mind that we could be free to
> ignore everything past '#' to make these strings valid:
>
> Files-Excluded:
>     # ignore copy of lua
>     lua_5.1.4/
>     sqlite3.* # we use Debian's own sqlite
>     #  The dada files are that long that there is no point in leaving
>     #  them so the complete directory is removed
>     data/samples/
>     *.pdf # We do not have the source of the pdfs
>
> I have some preference for Jonas' suggestion using
> Files-Excluded-Comment because it looks cleaner - but both should
> solve your problem.

Above means inventing a *new* syntax for files, instead of reusing the
existing one from Files: paragraphs.

If really sensible to use hash for comments, then let's relax the
general format, instead of inventing new formats for each use case!

Personally I am fine using 822-style paragraphs for comments in an
822-style file.

 - Jonas