Re: can we (fully) fix/integrate NetworkManager (preferred) or release-goal its decommissioning

Hello,

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:51:27 +0100
Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> What I mean is that this still happens:

> # ifup eth0
> # ifconfig eth0 down
> # ifup eth0
> ifup: interface eth0 already configured

Why should it happen otherwise? You did *NOT* deconfigure the interface.

> People talk about how ifupdown works well with other configuration
> tools, unlike Network Manager.  But it doesn't, it only knows how to
> undo the configuration specified in /etc/network/interfaces.

...and NM can't do anything at all which it doesn't know about.

How do you suppose it's possible to undo arbitrary network
configuration done by arbitrary set of tools when there's no central
place to hold such information (and can't possibly be)?

--
WBR, Andrew