Re: can we (fully) fix/integrate NetworkManager (preferred) or release-goal its decommissioning

On Fri, 2012-08-24 at 10:44 +0200, Andrew Shadura wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:51:27 +0100
> Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > What I mean is that this still happens:
>
> > # ifup eth0
> > # ifconfig eth0 down
> > # ifup eth0
> > ifup: interface eth0 already configured
>
> Why should it happen otherwise? You did *NOT* deconfigure the interface.

It certainly isn't in the state that 'ifup' put it the first time.  I
want it back in that state now, why won't it do that?

> > People talk about how ifupdown works well with other configuration
> > tools, unlike Network Manager.  But it doesn't, it only knows how to
> > undo the configuration specified in /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> ...and NM can't do anything at all which it doesn't know about.
>
> How do you suppose it's possible to undo arbitrary network
> configuration done by arbitrary set of tools when there's no central
> place to hold such information (and can't possibly be)?

There is, it's called the kernel.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.