Re: can we (fully) fix/integrate NetworkManager (preferred) or release-goal its decommissioning

On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 00:04 +0200, Andrew Shadura wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 19:32:03 +0100
> Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > > 3) ifupdown integration is really bad
> > > ifupdown is really a good framework, it offers hooks and and is
> > > properly integrated in many packages.
>
> > ifupdown *was* a good framework, but Linux moved on.  ifupdown doesn't
> > know anything about interface state.
>
> Why should it? It's a configuration tool, not a monitoring one. If
> monitoring is needed, a different tool can be developed which would
> perfectly integrate into ifupdown... but nobody has needed that yet?
[...]

What I mean is that this still happens:

# ifup eth0
# ifconfig eth0 down
# ifup eth0
ifup: interface eth0 already configured

People talk about how ifupdown works well with other configuration
tools, unlike Network Manager.  But it doesn't, it only knows how to
undo the configuration specified in /etc/network/interfaces.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere. - Anne Morrow Lindberg