Re: Change default PATH for Jessie / wheezy+1

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 03:16:59AM +0200, Ulrich Dangel wrote:
> Currently the default PATH for Debian does not include /sbin, /usr/sbin, nor
> /usr/local/sbin. If an user wants to run a program in either /sbin/ or /usr/sbin
> the full path must be specified.
>
> Changing the default PATH for normal users to include /sbin, /usr/sbin as well as
> /usr/local/sbin would be a great thing for simplifying command line usage for
> normal users.

Could you please tell me a single benefit from such a change?  All I see are
downsides.  It would degrade tab completion and pollute the namespace.

The reason you say, is a single obsolete tool, ifconfig, being in the wrong
directory.  So let's instead move it to /bin/ -- or preferably, to /dev/null
(unless depended upon).

--
Copyright and patents were never about promoting culture and innovations;
from the very start they were legalized bribes to give the king some income