Re: Change default PATH for Jessie / wheezy+1

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 01:30:54PM +0200, Andrew Shadura wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 19:26:27 +0800
> Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > This kind of remark make be say that probably, it'd be
> > nice to have ifconfig display a warning as this one:
>
> > "ifconfig is deprecated, please use ip instead"
>
> It'd be terrible. Please don't even think of it, okay? Let people
> decide themselves what to use.

As a distribution we have to decide on a default, and that is ip.
We took the effort to remove all use of ifconfig from ifupdown and
other related tools for wheezy precisely to make it removable and
optional, so that it can eventually be removed.

While it's fine for an end user to continue to use ifconfig, we
should continue to remove its use by ourselves and in programs in
Debian.  Warning the user that they are using an obsolete tool is
IMO entirely justified, particularly when there is a much better
and more capable replacement.

Regards,
Roger

--