[OT] ifconfig(8)

 >> ifconfig and route were around already when everyone insisted on the
 >> separation of /bin and /sbin.  /bin/ip is slightly newer and
 >> supposed to replace ifconfig/route some day entirely.

 > Just for the records, iproute entirely replaced ifconfig/route long
 > ago.

	Curiously enough, ifconfig(8) shows RX/TX byte counts, and,
	somehow, I didn't manage to get a similar output from iproute.
	Any pointers?  TIA.

 > The only reason for keeping around the old programs is compatibility
 > with other packages not yet updated and to not scare people who do
 > not know better.

 > (Does anybody want to try removing net-tools and see what breaks?)

	I guess that $ apt-cache rdepends may be a safer check, like:

$ apt-cache rdepends --no-suggests net-tools

	However, it made me wonder, why ifupdown Suggests: net-tools?

--
FSF associate member #7257	http://sf-day.org/