Re: Change default PATH for Jessie / wheezy+1

On 08/08/2012 12:14 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
On 08/08/2012 04:28 PM, Alberto Fuentes wrote:
On 08/08/2012 09:43 AM, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
Experienced users should be able to do this easily. And those who don't
knwo what to do with the tools in */sbin/* probably don't want/need them
in $PATH.

I think the topic in here is good defaults for debian/"more common
case" no if debian/users are able to handle such changes. :)

I also add sbin to path as one the first steps after installation and
i think is a good thing. Not sure whats the best technical approach
tho ( merge directories, add to path... link to bin only for those
binaries that make sense there...)

Exactly what do you need from sbin as a user?

If you have some examples, then please file bugs...

Thomas

blkid, brctl, ifconfig, route, run-level are my main reasons. There might be more...

Other distros looked for similar functionality using the easier way to do it, that is, adding path to $PATH but im not sure if thats the best technical solution (nor i know what that would be)

Since we are not lazy and pursue technical excellence, we can think of what makes more sense. Maybe add a few links to bin for the binaries that make sense is more than enough. In any case we should unify criteria. Mount seems to rest in /bin instead of /sbin for example...

Maybe merge directories is what makes more sense nowadays... I dont know :)