Re: solving the network-manager-in-gnome problem

]] Vincent Lefevre

> But in such a case, sysvinit shouldn't be an essential package (and
> packages that need it should thus have an explicit dependency on it),
> since it isn't really needed in a working Debian system.

And people are working towards that goal.  We won't be there for wheezy,
but there is some progress in that direction.  Hopefully we'll be there
for wheezy+1.

> > They are, unless there are native service descriptions shipped.
>
> If the package description had said that, it would have been
> less confusing. It's strange for a package description to focus
> on non-native features!

I don't know what you mean by non-native features.  Support for SysV
init scripts is native to systemd, but if there's both a sysvinit and a
.service file providing the same service, the .service file takes
precedence.  Similarly, if you have a .service file in
/lib/systemd/system and one in /etc/systemd/system, the latter takes
precedence.

--
Tollef Fog Heen