Re: solving the network-manager-in-gnome problem

On 2012-07-23 15:55:27 +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Vincent Lefevre
>
> > On 2012-07-23 10:21:04 +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > > ]] Vincent Lefevre

> > > It already does.
> >
> > Not really, or at least not in a nice way, because sysvinit is
> > an essential package.
>
> How is that relevant?  Don't we support pax just because tar is
> essential?

But installing pax won't remove tar, while...

# apt-get install -s upstart
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  libnih-dbus1 libnih1
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  sysvinit
  libnih-dbus1 libnih1 upstart
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  sysvinit
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 1 to remove and 17 not upgraded.
Remv sysvinit [2.88dsf-28]
[...]

> > Also, I don't see any init system that provides the same feature as
> > ENABLE/DISABLE (i.e. together with other configuration options of the
> > service, such as the port on which the daemon will listen).
>
> You might want to look again, then, there are multiple ways to disable a
> daemon using systemd units.

OK, the package description of systemd by mentioning the rcN.d links.
I had the impression they were still used.

Also, it seems that to disable a daemon using systemd units, one needs
these native files. But many packages don't provide them. So, real
systemd support isn't really there.