Re: solving the network-manager-in-gnome problem

]] Vincent Lefevre

> On 2012-07-23 15:55:27 +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > ]] Vincent Lefevre

> > > Not really, or at least not in a nice way, because sysvinit is
> > > an essential package.
> >
> > How is that relevant?  Don't we support pax just because tar is
> > essential?
>
> But installing pax won't remove tar, while...

I don't think it follows at all that because there are init systems
which conflict with sysvinit, Debian does not support multiple init
systems.

[...]

> > > Also, I don't see any init system that provides the same feature as
> > > ENABLE/DISABLE (i.e. together with other configuration options of the
> > > service, such as the port on which the daemon will listen).
> >
> > You might want to look again, then, there are multiple ways to disable a
> > daemon using systemd units.
>
> OK, the package description of systemd by mentioning the rcN.d links.
> I had the impression they were still used.

They are, unless there are native service descriptions shipped.

> Also, it seems that to disable a daemon using systemd units, one needs
> these native files. But many packages don't provide them. So, real
> systemd support isn't really there.

You said «I don't see any init system that provides the same feature as
ENABLE/DISABLE (i.e. together with other configuration options of the
service, such as the port on which the daemon will listen).», you did
not specify «without changing anything in the existing packages» og
something similar.

Also, to turn your argument on the head: many packages does not provide
NO_START=1 in /etc/default, so real support for that isn't really there
either.  On my system, it's about 8 of 103 init scripts, which is
slightly higher than the ratio of packages shipping systemd service
descriptions to packages shipping init scripts.  (58 / 1106 for .service
files)

--
Tollef Fog Heen