Re: Have NetworkManager disabled by default when... (was: Recommends for metapackages)

On 2012-07-18 15:01:43 +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 02:18:12PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > Sorry for being late in the discussion. I also think that having
> > NetworkManager disabled for those who do not want to use it is
> > a good solution. But I think that if other network configuration
> > packages (ifupdown, wicd) are already used when network-manager
> > is being installed, NetworkManager should be disabled by default,
> > or the choice should be given to the user after telling him what
> > is currently used.
>
> ifupdown is always used, at least in some form (extreme embedded aside).

Well, /etc/network/interfaces could be checked to see if the
admin could have modified the default config (not sure whether
this is possible reliably or this can be a heuristic).

> wicd is used only on machines that use wifi, this excludes most desktops.

Still, the check would be useful on laptops where wicd is installed
and enabled (the user could have a default ifupdown config and wicd
enabled).

> So I'm afraid such a check would be mostly useless.
>

> A different idea would be to have NM configured by default to do what it can
> do well (wifi) and stay away from all other interfaces, but because it has
> thorough assumptions that it controls all of networking in the system, this
> is not a change that could realistically be done during freeze.

Agreed (but note that NM shouldn't do wifi if wicd is enabled).