Re: Fixing the mime horror ini Debian

Hi,

Le vendredi 13 juillet 2012 à 18:13 +0900, Norbert Preining a écrit :
> can we somehome make $subject a target for the *next* release?
> It is ridiculous that it is in fact completely arbitrary what
> program is used to open files. Currently in my gnome-shell
> pdfs are opened with a file-manager, as well as .txt files, as
> well as anything.
>
> That is when using xdg-open or gnome-open of gvfs-open.

The freedesktop MIME system (which applies for GNOME, Xfce and LXDE)
allows to specify defaults for every given MIME type.  However, it is
not realistic to agree in Debian as a whole on a set of defaults.

This is why GNOME sets default associations for GNOME sessions: this is
the /etc/gnome/defaults.list file. Therefore the behavior you describe
should not happen in a GNOME session – unless you start it through a
custom .xsession.

That’s for GNOME.

For other environments using the freedesktop MIME system, they can do
the same as we do for GNOME, but their respective maintainers have
decided not to. However, there’s been an addition to the MIME system
that allows to envision a Debian-wide solution: now you can specify
several defaults, and the system will pick the first one available.

So *if* we manage to agree on a list of defaults and on an order in
which they should appear, for each affected MIME type, we could ship
this file system-wide in shared-mime-info.

Note that the GNOME file alone lists no less than 355 MIME types, so
that makes quite some work.

For KDE I’ve been told the MIME system is different so this is yet
another story.

> When I try see, in contrast the funny okular from KDE
> is started, together with these very useful services of KDE.

see is obsolete. Maybe the target for the next release could be to get
rid of it.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette