Re: N-M: Depends->Recommends (was: Re: duplicates in the archive)

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 11:13:16PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> and also, as Philipp Kern noticed before, things that use N-M to
> distinguish between online and offline modes will think they're offline
> after uninstalling N-M until they are restarted.

You get this even with n-m installed, if n-m isn't managing your connection.
So for example I have n-m configured for wifi and 3g connections, but
ignoring my ethernet connection, so I can use a bridged setup.  Various
desktop apps misbehave in minor ways: pidgin as already mentioned; chrome
reports "unable to connect to Internet" instead of more nuanced failures such
as "no such site", etc.