File naming of scripts in /etc/init.d

Hi,

I noticed that some scripts in /etc/init.d/ are suffixed by .sh and some are
not. On my sytem:

host:/etc/init.d# ls -1 *.sh
bootmisc.sh
checkfs.sh
checkroot.sh
console-screen.sh
hostname.sh
hwclock.sh
keymap.sh
mountall-bootclean.sh
mountall.sh
mountdevsubfs.sh
mountkernfs.sh
mountnfs-bootclean.sh
mountnfs.sh
mtab.sh
umountnfs.sh

All except console-screen.sh, hwclock.sh and keymap.sh are from the initscripts
package.

I was wandering if there was a reason from this discrepancy. So I had a look in
the Debian Policy Manuel, and one can read (subsection 9.3.2 Writing the
scripts) that "These scripts should be named /etc/init.d/package". I failed to
find another reference to script naming in the rest of the document.

So 1) nowhere is .sh suffixing mentioned and 2) some scripts are not named by
their package's name (hwclock.sh is part of the util-linux package). Is there a
reason for this?

Would it be purely aesthetics to clean out these script names?

Thank you for the great job.

Best regards,
Steve

PS: Is there a way to list all packages putting a file in /etc/init.d/?