Re: File naming of scripts in /etc/init.d

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 01:51:36PM +0200, Steve R. Petruzzello wrote:

||  I noticed that some scripts in /etc/init.d/ are suffixed by .sh and some
||  are not. On my sytem:

[...]

||  So 1) nowhere is .sh suffixing mentioned and 2) some scripts are not named
||  by their package's name (hwclock.sh is part of the util-linux package). Is
||  there a reason for this?

IIRC, in the olden unix times scripts with a .sh suffix were sourced
(using ". /etc/init.d/foo.sh") by the main rc shell script instead of
executed (using "/etc/init.d/foo.sh") to save the spawning of a separate
shell, for a little speed.

Nowadays, this is probably no longer necessary. Although, with embedded
stuff, you never know.

Ciao.                                                           Vincent.
--
Vincent Zweije <vincent@zweije.nl>   | "If you're flamed in a group you
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/>      | don't read, does anybody get burnt?"