Re: Summary: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:20:03PM +0200, David Weinehall wrote:
because I think it'd be impossible to convince some people that /tmp
isn't a random dumping ground for anything and everything.

But what is /tmp for you? Since my first Unix experience in the 90s, /tmp was always the local disk for temporary things. Yes, it is limited by the disk size. At university your $HOME was a NFS share (and I don’t know what you have against NFS for a shared filesystem; do yo prefer CIFS?), /tmp was always local like swap.

If /tmp isn’t a „dumping ground für anything and everything” as long as there is enough space, what directory is more fitting? /tmp is cleaned at every reboot (configurable by TMPTIME), so a user doesn’t have to worry about it. Do you want something similiar for your /home/<user>/tmp?

Should we now have different definitions of „temporary file”?

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |
| Public Keys: http://fsing.rootsland.net/~stse/keys.html |