Re: Summary: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 09:08:51PM +0200, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez wrote:
> On 20/06/12 15:18, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> >>

> > Fine let’s talk. Why can’t we find a compromise? Additional to our disk
> > /tmp we create a /ramtmp (so the name suggests that this tmp is a
> > ramdisk) with tmpfs. This should be doable in time for Wheezy. The
> > release notes should mention it. And those who wish can patch their
> > programs to use the ramdisk if they think their program uses only small
> > temporary files. In this way, we get some data and experience. And we
> > have both worlds. /tmp on disk for even large temporary files and
> > /ramtmp as fast ramdisk.
>
> I really think this is the way to go :)

As do I.  Not because I think diskbased /tmp is something worth keeping
(on the contrary I consider tmpfs-based /tmp to be superior), but
because I think it'd be impossible to convince some people that /tmp
isn't a random dumping ground for anything and everything.

I think that having a tmpfs file system, and mandating that long-term
all software packaged for Debian -- where possible -- except in special
cases, and leave /tmp primarily as a dumping ground for the user
(If it wasn't for NFS *shudder* I'd advocate /home/<user>/tmp for this
 purpose instead).

Regards: DAvid
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //