Re: Clarification on the Origin: field in the Patch Tagging Guidelines?

On fre, 2012-06-15 at 09:39 -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> I'm trying to understand a better way of using the Origin: field as
> specified by DEP-3.
>
> I'm currently using something like this:
>
> Origin: http://git.kernel.org/?p=fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git;a=commitdiff;h=8f00911a21
> f4e95de84c60e09cc4df173e5b6701
>
> since DEP-3 seems to strongly encourage a URL.  But this seems really
> ugly and painful to me.

Looks fine to me.  URLs are a uniform way to locate resources.

Of course, it would be nicer if the git URL scheme had a way to specify
what to check out.

> >From reading the DEP-3, it mentions the use of the Commit: identifier,
> but doesn't give any examples of how this would be done.  Would
> something like this be acceptable instead?
>
> Origin: upstream, Commit:8f00911a21
>
> I assume as long as there is clear documentation in where to find the
> canonical upstream repository (perhaps in debian/README.source or
> debian/copyright) this would be considered acceptable?   Or maybe it
> would be better to include a new repository designator in the Patch
> Tags, i.e.:
>
> Upstream-VCS: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git
> VCS-Branch: debian

That doesn't excite me.  Everyone would create their own non-*uniform*
way to describe what they meant, and someone who wants to follow along
will have to figure out loads of details, depending on what vcs is used,
how it's hosted, etc.