Re: [RFC] Add upstream VCS info to control file

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:50:35PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> When using Git, it's quite a common practice to only store the debian
> branch on Alioth, then have the master branch stored ... upstream.
> See for example:
>
> http://openstack.alioth.debian.org/

How common? I've never seen it done that way before. I also can't see the
point: if you've merged from the upstream branch the whole history is there
anyway. Tracking the upstream commits via branches is not additionally
expensive.

I mostly see

 * cloned upstream repos, master corresponds to upstream, additional debian
   branch, debian tags 'namespaced' (e.g. debian/ prefix)
 * as above but master corresponds to debian and 'upstream' used to track
   upstream's master
 * tarballs imported via git-import-orig, possibly a pristine-tar branch,
   master corresponds to debian, 'upstream' is one-commit-per-upstream-
   tarball

--
Jon Dowland