Re: [RFC] Add upstream VCS info to control file

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:

> On 06/15/2012 12:03 AM, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
>> Anyway, here's what I've been doing for our 150+ X packages:
>>
>> $ cat xserver-xorg-video-ati.git/debian/watch
>> #git=git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati
>> version=3
>> http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/driver/ xf86-video-ati-(.*)\.tar\.gz
>>
>> debcheckout gives you a debian-unstable branch by default. Then calling
>> the tiny xsf-remote-add-upstream script gets the watch file parsed, and
>> the upstream branch added:
>>   http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-xorg/debian/xsf-tools.git;a=blob;f=xsf-remote-add-upstream
>>

> That's really cool, but what would be even cooler would be something
> standardized in Debian, so that we all do the same way. Probably
> having your something like your xfs-remote-add-upstream script, but
> built in debcheckout, git-buildpackage or something like that.
>
> Now that you tell about it, I agree that adding yet another field in
> debian/control was short sighted.

While having a standardized way would be useful, there's just so many
workflows, that you can't possibly cover all of them with a single
syntax, and in the end, you'd end up with having to call
package-specific scripts in the source.

We already have Vcs-*, to check out the debian branch. If debian/rules
would have an optional target, similar to get-orig-source, that would
finish checking out the repository, grabbing upstream stuff, and setting
up branches too, that would solve your problem.

debcheckout could be extended to check whether the target exists, and
call it too, so in the end, you'd end up with using a single command,
that gets you what you want.

And we didn't attempt to cover every different case with a single syntax
in debian/control, or another file.

Call this target get-vcs-source or similar, and voila!