Re: [RFC] Add upstream VCS info to control file

On 06/15/2012 12:03 AM, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Anyway, here's what I've been doing for our 150+ X packages:
> $ cat xserver-xorg-video-ati.git/debian/watch
> #git=git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati
> version=3
> http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/driver/ xf86-video-ati-(.*)\.tar\.gz
> debcheckout gives you a debian-unstable branch by default. Then calling
> the tiny xsf-remote-add-upstream script gets the watch file parsed, and
> the upstream branch added:
>   http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-xorg/debian/xsf-tools.git;a=blob;f=xsf-remote-add-upstream

That's really cool, but what would be even cooler would be something
standardized in Debian, so that we all do the same way. Probably
having your something like your xfs-remote-add-upstream script, but
built in debcheckout, git-buildpackage or something like that.

Now that you tell about it, I agree that adding yet another field in
debian/control was short sighted.