Re: Is it me or virtualbox memory management crap?

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 11:15:23PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 06/13/2012 09:14 PM, Simon McVittie wrote:
> > On 13/06/12 13:46, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >
> >> Writing to my disk is normally quite
> >> fast, but I've noticed indeed that when it's VB that does it, it's slow.
> >> If I don't find a way, I guess I'll switch back to Xen with NAT...
> >>
> > No opinion on VirtualBox, Xen or performance thereof, but kvm is also an
> > option. I sometimes run virtual machines for development, on a laptop
> > with ext3 over LVM over dm-crypt (so the complete stack from VM to disk
> > is: ext3, qcow2, ext3, LVM, dm-crypt, disk) and I've had acceptable
> > performance. I use virt-manager to simplify dealing with the VMs.

> VirtualBox is only nice because of its GUI.

Can't say I've ever tried running it, but VirtualBox kernel modules
are considered too bad even for staging and are the primary reason for
the recently added 'O' taint bit.

> Otherwise, KVM or XEN
> outperforms it a lot, especially on I/O. Also, VB is convenient because
> of its bridging thing which works even on WiFi. Unless I'm mistaking,
> Xen can't do bridging on WiFi (I'd be *very* happy to be wrong here,
> so if I am, please let me know!), and NAT is always annoying me,
> which is why I continue with VB for my SID VM.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the hint, I may give (another) try with KVM. Is there
> any good GUI that I could use for it (that would work in Squeeze)?
[...]

I think there is a usable version of virt-manager in squeeze.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
                                                              - Albert Camus