Re: Is it me or virtualbox memory management crap? (was: Summary: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless)

On 06/10/2012 11:55 PM, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> Well, if I start Virtual Box on my notebook (4 GB RAM), the system
> uses the swap partition.

Frankly, I don't know what the fuck virtualbox is doing
with its memory management, but I was tempted more than
once to file a RC bug with a title like this one:

Virtualbox fucks up Linux memory on nearly all cases

I didn't do it, because I'm unsure if what I'm experiencing
is to be considered "normal" or not, or if there are tricks
to avoid that.

Seriously, when I run it, I always do a "swapoff -a",
otherwise my HDD starts spinning fast, even with 4 GB
of RAM, and only 1.5 GB of it for the guest. Then even
when I do this, I get some random memory allocation
warnings printed in the kernel on tty1, as if the system
went crazy with no handles for new chunks of memory. All
this, when "top" shows there's some remaining free RAM.

Let's put it this way: I can't run Virtualbox AND
Firefox at the same time, or my laptop becomes unusably
slow and non responsive.

Am I the only one who experienced that? Is there something
I didn't understand, or is it Virtualbox that has a problem?

Cheers,

Thomas