Re: Debian documentation permalinks

[CCing debian-www as requested but I'm not subscribed]

Le 31/05/2012 00:34, Charles Plessy a écrit :
> Le Sat, May 26, 2012 at 03:03:06AM +0100, Philip Ashmore a écrit :
>>
>> What I noticed by its absence was that no-one linked to official Debian
>> policy detailing the choices made and their justification.
>>
>> Then it struck me that if such a document existed, it would be subject to
>> change as Debian policy itself evolved, making any old links nonsensical or
>> misleading.

I also think it would be a great thing.

> Dear Philip,
>
> we publish the Debian Policy with the following procedure, that
> does not allow permalinks.
>
>  1) The Policy is developed as a native Debian package.
>
>  2) Updates of the Policy are published by uploading new
>     versions of the package.
>
>  3) www.debian.org extracts the HTML build of the policy from
>     the latest debian-policy pakcage, and places it under
>     http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
>
> This helps the Policy team and the WWW team to work without having to learn
> each other's build systems, but this means that new versions override old ones.
>
> If you have a concrete proposition for a procedure that is as convenient, but
> allows to keep old versions somewhere, you can propose it on
> debian-www@lists.debian.org,

What about a layout similar to this one :
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/@package_version@/[doc extracted]
with the following symlinks in http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy:
"last" or "current" -> `last-version-extracted`
X.Y.Z -> last X.Y.Z.T (so that policy are reachable without the minor revision)
"squeeze" -> `version included in squeeze`

We can also have links for stable/testing/... and/or for
number of debian release (release-6.0 -> ...)

And anything that does not match the first level is redirected :
debian-policy/(.*)$ -> debian-policy/last/$1
with a 304 HTTP redirect so that current links keep the same actual meaning

This would allow to target a specific version of the policy in links.

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87