Re: Debian documentation permalinks

Le Sat, May 26, 2012 at 03:03:06AM +0100, Philip Ashmore a écrit :

> What I noticed by its absence was that no-one linked to official Debian
> policy detailing the choices made and their justification.
>
> Then it struck me that if such a document existed, it would be subject to
> change as Debian policy itself evolved, making any old links nonsensical or
> misleading.

Dear Philip,

we publish the Debian Policy with the following procedure, that
does not allow permalinks.

 1) The Policy is developed as a native Debian package.

 2) Updates of the Policy are published by uploading new
    versions of the package.

 3) www.debian.org extracts the HTML build of the policy from
    the latest debian-policy pakcage, and places it under
    http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

This helps the Policy team and the WWW team to work without having to learn
each other's build systems, but this means that new versions override old ones.

If you have a concrete proposition for a procedure that is as convenient, but
allows to keep old versions somewhere, you can propose it on
debian-www@lists.debian.org, but please consider that there can be legitimate
objections to your proposition, and that unless you have time to work on
implementation and maintainance by yourself, your proposition will need to be
exciting enough to decide other volunteers to work on.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan