Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs is fine

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:
>> Perhaps it should be
>> extended to allow the directory to be below ~/ instead of below
>> /tmp/. :)
>>
> I don't think so. As other pointed out, your /home could be
> remote (over NFS?), and then slow, while /tmp is normally
> on your local machine, so moving the temp folder in ~/ will
> potentially slow them down, and break quota.

... yeah, my homedir is in NFS, and I get no end of grief from the
bazillion packages in debian that blithely cache vast quantities of
(often very uninteresting) data in random subdirs of $HOME... and then
expect accessing it to be very fast....

:[

-miles

--
Year, n. A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments.