Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs is fine

On Sun, 2012-05-27 at 22:43 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 05/27/2012 02:52 AM, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > Or, it should get clever and not unpack everything. There are plenty of
> > software that are able to read into archives without extracting from
> > them. There are even fuse filesystems to do that if it doesn't want to
> > do it itself. Using a temporary directory, be it on disk or in RAM, is
> > *always* going to be a limitation.
> You may or may not be right. That's not the point. Things are what they
> are, and we have to deal with them. Unless you want to rewrite/patch:
> - Firefox
> - mc
> - mysql
> - {open,libre}office
> - ...
>
> then /tmp using tmpfs *will* lead to issues that many wont understand.

As will /tmp on a small root partition.
As will a small dedicated /tmp partition.

Creating arbitrarily large temporary files outside the user's home
directory is generally going to be unreliable.  A shared /tmp also
results in various security problems (mostly mitigated by link
restrictions) and privacy problems (I can see the names of the files
your browser downloaded).

We should be thinking about implementing per-user temporary directories
and making sure that programs respect $TMPDIR.  (On Linux it's also
possible to give each user a different /tmp through mount namespaces.
I'm not sure whether that's compatible with historical use of /tmp by
the X window system.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The obvious mathematical breakthrough [to break modern encryption] would be