Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs is fine

[Ben Hutchings]
> We should be thinking about implementing per-user temporary directories
> and making sure that programs respect $TMPDIR.

Yes, per-user temp directories is a good idea.  Installing the
libpam-tmpdir package enable this by default, and beside some problems
with the root user (bad TMPDIR is inherited when I restart services
using /etc/init.d/ scripts), it work well.  Perhaps it should be
extended to allow the directory to be below ~/ instead of below
/tmp/. :)

It make it very easy to spot the programs not respecting $TMPDIR. :)

> (On Linux it's also possible to give each user a different /tmp
> through mount namespaces.  I'm not sure whether that's compatible
> with historical use of /tmp by the X window system.)

This sound a bit more scary, yes.
--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen