Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useful

Joey Hess dixit:

>If programs that write large files to /tmp are changed to usr /var/tmp,
>then over time a system will accumulate orphaned large tmp files in
>/var/tmp. Nothing will come along and clean them up.

This is indeed a valid point. But that’s no regression; /tmp has
always been for small short-lived files, and /var/tmp for those
that are not one of them or not both.

The question whether there needs to be a way to store large temporary
files that are cleaned up automatically (yes, please), when (Ben
Hutchings fsck experience comes to mind) and how (?) should be
orthogonal to the /tmp as tmpfs discussion (but be done).

For what it’s worth, I’ve run into limits when having /tmp as a
filesystem more often than when it was in RAM.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
<ch> you introduced a merge commit        │<mika> % g rebase -i HEAD^^
<mika> sorry, no idea and rebasing just fscked │<mika> Segmentation