Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

On Fri, 25 May 2012, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> for small files, and in that case, it's faster. In reality, it's
> not that much faster, thanks to Linux caching of the filesystem,

Under heavy filesystem IO load, yes it is.  By several orders of magnitude.

> the point. Maybe we should add a /small-files-on-tmpfs (choose
> a better name, of course...) folder so that apps know what to do,
> that'd be a lot more graceful than just switching to whole /tmp
> to tmpfs without any app knowing about it.

Nice idea, but it would be worthless.

In fact it is the other way.  We have /var/tmp for the large file since
about forever, and important platforms that have /tmp in memory since the
early 2000's (Solaris)....

And that STILL wasn't enough for people to not screw it up and dump large
files in /tmp.

  Henrique Holschuh