Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> In fact it is the other way.  We have /var/tmp for the large file since
> about forever, and important platforms that have /tmp in memory since the
> early 2000's (Solaris)....
>
> And that STILL wasn't enough for people to not screw it up and dump large
> files in /tmp.

No, that is not the difference between /var/tmp and /tmp. Users of /tmp
are not "screwing up", they are storing files that are intended only
to persist while the computer is up, to the correct place.

If programs that write large files to /tmp are changed to usr /var/tmp,
then over time a system will accumulate orphaned large tmp files in
/var/tmp. Nothing will come along and clean them up.

--
see shy jo