Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

Guillem Jover dixit:

>> Ah, no, don’t use ar to create .deb files.
>>
>> http://www.mirbsd.org/permalinks/wlog-10_e20110818-tg-g10046.htm
>
>Using binutils' ar should be considered supported, and works fine with
>dpkg-deb and dpkg, the accepted format is documented in deb(5). I'd

The problem is that binutils’ ar generates SYSV style filenames
for members since the switch to ELF, while the deb format uses
BSD style filenames. Nowadays, tools like apt-extracttemplates
support both, but it’s not so long it didn’t (e.g. on hardy).

If you use “GNUTARGET=a.out-i386-linux ar rc …” you get a suitable
archive… on an i386 host; on other hosts, the $GNUTARGET to use
differs. (Hence support for BSD/deb(5) style ar(5) archives in
paxtar and, I think I’ve read, (free)bsdtar.)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
“It is inappropriate to require that a time represented as
 seconds since the Epoch precisely represent the number of