Re: big .debian.tar.xz - EG Wordpress

Hi,

(Corsac was right, you'd better CC the maintainers with whom you want to
discuss...)

On Wed, 16 May 2012, Russell Coker wrote:
> Would it be possible to have somewhere on the Debian servers for storing such
> files so that they can be referenced in a README file or something rather than
> sent to everyone?  I'm sure that most people who build a Wordpress package
> won't use them.

I don't see the point of it. This is the simplest way to ensure that
anyone who distributes Debian complies with the GPL for what is shipped
in the wordpress source package. Wordpress themselves are not doing it
seriously enough. Their corresponding page is not up-to-date:
http://wordpress.org/download/source/

Packaging wordpress is enough of a pain already, if you want to change
something you should join us and help us.

On Wed, 16 May 2012, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:45 PM, Russell Coker wrote:
>
> > I just downloaded the source to Wordpress from Squeeze, it's got a 14M
> > .debian.tar.xz which is mostly sources for things that are included in the
> > upstream tarball.  The build process appears to only use the upstream tarball
> > code so the 13MB of data in the debian/missing-sources directory isn't used
> > for building.
>
> Seems like a bug, the best way to determine that sources are still
> buildable is to always build them.

You're welcome to provide a patch.

On Wed, 16 May 2012, Jon Dowland wrote:
> It strikes me that this is *exactly* what the multiple-source-tarballs feature
> of 3.0. is for.  Although, the fact these sources aren't used at all is
> troubling.  If Debian used them (implemented the minifying as part of the build
> process) we might catch a problem upstream miss (not necessarily a bad thing).

Ditto.

> Of course, many of these could be separate source/binary packages in their own
> right[1], as they have value outside of wordpress, and be Build-Depends/Depends
> of wordpress. In fact a few already are: jquery (already packaged); swfupload
> (not yet); tinymce (already packaged)…

Indeed, some of the sources provided are for minified files that we don't
even install in the binary package. But things change quickly and
depending on testing and bug reports, we switch between using the embedded
copy and the Debian packaged copy.

So I took the easy solution.

Note that I use Wordpress so I (help) maintain the Wordpress package but I
have better things to do than to invent a build system that upstream
wouldn't use just for the sake of it.

We definitely need more help to maintain wordpress and you're welcome to
join if you feel like doing it.

I have done my share of work to get upstream to comply:
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/19065

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/