Re: big .debian.tar.xz - EG Wordpress

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 05:53:11PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Seems like a bug, the best way to determine that sources are still
> buildable is to always build them.

The stuff is things such as "minified" js. The wordpress source contains the
minified copies, and you can get the originals in separate tarballs from the
wordpress site.

It strikes me that this is *exactly* what the multiple-source-tarballs feature
of 3.0. is for.  Although, the fact these sources aren't used at all is
troubling.  If Debian used them (implemented the minifying as part of the build
process) we might catch a problem upstream miss (not necessarily a bad thing).

Of course, many of these could be separate source/binary packages in their own
right[1], as they have value outside of wordpress, and be Build-Depends/Depends
of wordpress. In fact a few already are: jquery (already packaged); swfupload
(not yet); tinymce (already packaged)…

[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/wordpress.git;a=blob;f=debian/missing-sources/README;h=3c3b33eadc25e8c43ca6147a185e127a5cc8a856;hb=HEAD