Re: why do people introduce stup^Wstrange changes to quilt 3.0 format

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 12:38:49PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> It is true that 3.0 (quilt) does have a great downside, quilt, but it also
> has a number of upsides.  And working around quilt is simple:
>
> echo "single-debian-patch" >debian/source/options
> echo "/.pc" >>.gitignore
> echo "/debian/patches" >>.gitignore

Thanks for the recipes for avoiding the quilt stuff; whilst still more work
than "just use 1.0", but perhaps the advantages are indeed worth it. (Esp.
in light of the talk re: xz compression.)

> Except for nuking upstream debian/ dir which can mean a bit of lost work if
> the upstream is sane (and can save some if they're not), the 3.0 format is
> strictly better than 1.0.

I had to go away and read up on the other things 3.0 brings to the table.
Indeed they are nice-to-haves, which I am not benefiting from precisely because
they are presently only available in Debian via 3.0 (quilt).  This is a bit of
a marketing fail for 3.0., in hindsight.

--
Jon Dowland