Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

On Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:42:46, Joey Hess wrote:
> Adam Borowski wrote:
> > Except that busybox has xz support, and is loaded from an udeb way before
> > any regular debs are seen.  Ie, there is no reason to stop "core
> > packages" from using decent compression.
>
> Yes there is. busybox is used on a variety of systems, which are
> unlikely to have xz installed. The small benefit of better compressing
> base does not justify narrowing the set of systems on which busybox can
> be used.
>
> > There's no reason to keep it to amd64/i386 as well -- in fact, it's i386
> > which is most likely to use unassisted install with extremely low memory.
> > I'm not aware of armel/mips boxes with 64MB ram that load d-i themselves.
>
> Many arm systems have 64 mb of ram or less.

The NSLU2 boxes that were common to install a port of Debian onto are one such
example, although I'm not sure how realistic a Debian install would be on them
today.  [These were discontinued in 2008.]  Specs: 32 MB RAM, somewhere
between 8 MB and 16 MB of onboard Flash.

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSLU2

I own a couple of these things although I'm no longer using them -- Debian was
an extremely tight fit even when these things were new.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us