Re: Version for a returning package

Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> writes:

> I'm going to reintroduce unversioned libnspr4 and libnss3 for various
> reasons. These packages used to exist in the Debian archive, but the
> last time they were seen was in sarge. The first release *not* including
> them was etch. This is quite some time ago.

> The versions they had by then had an epoch. Supposedly, to make the new
> versions greater than these, I have to add an epoch. But do I really
> need to care about making the new versions greater than these packages
> last seen 4 years ago? (sarge EOL was in 2008)

Personally, I'm on the side that thinks the dislike for epochs is somewhat
excessive.  It is a minorly annoying user interface detail, but all the X
libraries have had epochs since the major transition, and at least on any
of my systems I've never noticed any significant issues with that.

So I'd just add the epoch on the grounds that I personally wouldn't see
any reason not to, but you may have run into other issues that I haven't.