Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

Am 11.05.2012 14:30, schrieb Marco d'Itri:
> The problem with etc-overrides-lib is that a file must be copied in
> full from /lib to /etc to be modified, and then future changes to the
> same file in /lib will be ignored (so maybe the package will break
> because these changes are required, etc).

This argument goes both ways, though. I've received more than one bug
report about uses fiddling with their sysv init scripts, then blindly
pressing ok during the upgrade or using non-interactive mode (which kept
the locally modified version) and the daemon failed to start due to
required changes being missing in the locally modified version.

Also, the recent discussions somehow make it look like you constantly
need to change the systemd .service files. This should only be necessary
in the rarest of cases.
Those systemd .service are in the vast majority of cases really simple
(most just containing the path to the executable and the type) and
comparable in complexity with dbus (system-)service files which have
been installed in /usr/share/dbus/ forever.

Michael