Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

Stephan Seitz <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> writes:

> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 11:25:10AM +0200, Gergely Nagy wrote:
>>Are you happy with dropping a snippet into a conf.d/ directory, and your
>>software breaking on an upgrade without notice? Because that can happen
>>even now, with software that uses only /etc, and /etc alone for their
>>configuration, without any kind of default anywhere else.
>
> Yes, because I know that something is wrong when it breaks. This is
> better than the software is working but not anymore as you expect.

You do realize that the only difference between the two cases is that
when the default happens to be in /etc, you get a "Configuration file
updated" thing scroll by?

Other than that, things break exactly the same way, and you will have no
more information, and the one you have is of little use, as it happily
overwrote the unmodified default, so you'll have to hunt down the former
version anyway, to see the difference.