Re: etc-overrides-non-etc configuration file model [Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian]

On Thu, 10 May 2012, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> FWIW, /etc/default/* and /etc/$package/conf.d/* and similar already
> do something *very* close to what etc-overrides-non-etc does. To the
> point that changing a file under /etc/default, or adding a snippet
> to conf.d/ can break just as well when the underlying default
> changes as if that upstream happened to be outside of /etc.

That's true. I suspect that much of conf.d/* and default/* are a
consequence of the lack of easy 3-way merge support in dpkg. But
that's kind of an orthogonal issue.

> Except it's easier to follow, since the default is never modified
> by the admin, while if it's in /etc too, like in plenty of cases in
> the archive, both can change, and we end up with even scarier
> situations that can't be resolved sanely.

I'm unable to follow. In the etc-overrides-non-etc case, we would be
increasing the number of cases where we had copies in /etc and in
non-etc.

If things were just in /etc, they wouldn't be in non-etc, and you'd
only have one copy in all cases.

Don Armstrong

--
a friend will help you move